Ten Fuel-Saving Tips
It is very important that everyone strive to save gasoline while using
Motor Pool cars. Below are some good tips to help reduce gasoline
1. Drive smoothly. Avoid heavy acceleration or braking. Speeding, rapid
acceleration and braking can lower gasoline mileage by 5% at lower speeds and
around town and by 33% at highway speeds.
2. Make sure tires are not over- or under-inflated. Correct pressure can improve
gasoline mileage by 3%.
3. Remove excess weight.
4. Use cruise control on major roads and in free-flowing traffic. Maintaining a
constant speed can improve mileage.
5. Avoid idling. When drivers idle, they get zero miles per gallon.
6. Avoid higher speeds. Gasoline mileage decreases when driving at high speeds.
7. Plan outings in advance to avoid separate trips.
8. Use the proper grade of gasoline: regular unleaded or ethanol. Never use mid-
or high-grade gasoline.